Students at Ss Michael and John’s Primary School learn Indonesian as an additional language from Prep to Year 6. They engage in a wide variety of linguistic and cultural experiences that help them to understand their role as a global citizen. Students gain confidence and self-esteem while exploring the role of language in communication and culture. Topics covered include: School Life and Community, Family, Zoo Animals, Farming and Agriculture, Food, Traditional Indonesian Performing and Visual Arts, Time, Location, Customs and Holidays.
Students have the opportunity to consolidate knowledge, skills and concepts through the following activities:
- Singing, chants and rhymes
- Traditional Legong dancing
- Cooking Indonesian dishes
- Playing musical instruments
- Performing shadow puppet shows
- English and Indonesian text analysis
- Drawing, painting and creating artworks
- Playing Indonesian sports and games
- Writing and reflecting.